Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Now, the work is done...

Well, the hard planning is done. The scratching of our heads and beating them against the drawing board is over--we have mailed our permit, plans and hopes off to the bank. If all is in order we should hear from them in about three weeks with their offer on the loan. If not, I have no idea what we will do. It's in God's hands all along, it just is more obvious now with our scurrying around finished. Sitting still we can 'be still and know that He is God'. I have thought a lot on what Jesus said about worry--he said 'don't worry about what you will eat or wear or where you will live. Who can add a hair to their head or a minute to their life by effort or anxiety.' 1 Peter 5: says that we are to be humble because God is opposed to the proud. We are to humble ourselves under God's powerful hand and let Him place us in prominence when He wants us to be there. And throw our anxiety on His shoulders because, after all, He cares about us a lot. The relationship between anxiety and humility doesn't make sense at first, at least to me. But I think that pride in ourselves warps our perspective, especially concerning what we can control. If I live with the attitude that I control my life, and the outcome of the events I am concerned about is in my sphere of control, then it's natural that I will be worried or pensive about the resolution of events. If I have a more Jesus-like attitude, that God is in charge of every event and my worry does nothing but cut me off from faith, then I will be avoiding pride and anxiety. Avoiding those attitudes is a great thing. Truly, "contentment with Godliness is of great gain"!

No comments: